Sphinx AC Club Handicap Races
2017 Summer Series
The six races in the series are held on quiet country roads in six locations near to Coventry. Each race incorporates three different competitions. Competition is open to all senior members of the club and any juniors over the age of 14 who are able to complete the distance in a respectable time. The juniors are eligible for their own competitions.
|11:00am||Sun 26th Mar||Grandborough (Start in Hayway Lane Broadwell. For satnav users enter CV23 8HH)|
|7:00pm||Thu 4th May||Brinklow (Google map of start location)|
|7:00pm||Thu 1st Jun||Monks Kirby (Google map of start location)|
|7:00pm||Thu 29th Jun||Birdingbury (Google map of start location, CV23 9QP for SatNav users)|
|7:00pm||Thu 3rd Aug||Corley (Google map of route - "A" is the start, CV7 8AQ)
|11:00am||Sun 10th Sep||Burton Green "The Greenway" (Parking at Peeping Tom pub Cromwell Lane for satnav users CV4 8AP)|
2 races are on Sunday mornings starting at 11:00 a.m. This year there will be 4 evening races starting at 7:00 p.m. Results and trophies are presented on the day while having a social drink at the nearest pub.
ROAD RACE CHAMPIONSHIP
- Fastest runner collects 100 points, second 99 points etc.
- Best 4 scores out of six races to count.
HANDICAP RACE CHAMPION
- First runner over the line collects 100 points, second 99 points etc.
RON WAGSTAFF MEMORIAL TROPHY
You will be asked to remove your watch and predict your time for the course.
- 5 points will be awarded to the nearest prediction, 4 points to the second nearest with 1 point for the 5th nearest.
- Points are also awarded for the first 5 over the finishing line in the race.
- All runners who do a personal best on the course will collect 5 points.
- An additional bonus point will be awarded for completing 5 races.
- An extra 2 points will be awarded for completing all 6 races.
All races count towards this coveted trophy.
Nominated Road Races (5 miles, 10 miles and half-marathon)
There are also 3 handicap races over 5 miles, 10 miles and half marathon distances. The winner of each race is the runner whose actual time beats the time estimated by the handicap secretary by the greatest margin.
This year’s club 5 Mile Handicap race will be the Ryton Pools 5 on Thursday 25th May. The club Half Marathon Handicap and 10 Handicap races will be Kenilworth Half and Rugby 10 on 3rd September and 17th September respectively.